As we entered 2021, everyone had high hopes for the new year and just wanted to forget about 2020. Heck, I was one of those people. However, one of the most beautiful things we witnessed during 2020 was the coming together when racial tensions rose globally. Specifically, we saw injustices done to both the African American and Asian American communities.
Today, as we witness Asian Americans like Noel Quintana and other victims of anti-Asian hate crimes, I want to remind everyone that the fight for justice is far from over.
We at Tamrah Lane condemn the recent rise in anti-Asian hate incidents. To you, our readers, our friends, our family, and our community, we ask that you call on all the people within your networks to unite and condemn not only the recent anti-Asian hate incidents, but all racially motivated acts of violence.
To find out how you can be part of this movement, please continue to the list below, which will be updated periodically. We encourage you to bookmark this page and/or share it with families and friends.
Resources for Fighting Anti-Asian Discrimination
Report Incidents and Encourage Others to Do So
One of the biggest things you can do to help is to encourage the reporting of incidents. Many incidents of hate and bias are not reported to the right people, such as community organizations and law enforcement. As a result, we are left with a severe undercount of the problem we are trying to stop.
You can assist individuals in reporting incidents to:
- Stop AAPI Hate – Available in different languages including Tagalog
- Stand Against Hatred
- Local Law Enforcement
- U.S. Department of Justice, Civil Rights Division
Support, Donate, and Volunteer
A list of organizations that actively combat racism against the AAPI community.
- Stop AAPI Hate
- Hate is a Virus
- Act to Change
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice
- National Council of Asian Pacific Americans
Support and donate to these individual fundraisers and petitions.
- Justice for Angelo Quinto Petition
- End Hate Crimes Against Asian Americans Petition
- COVID19 Anti-Racism Group (CARG) Petition
- GoFundMe for Vicha Ratanapakdee
- GoFundMe to Help Rebuild the Vietnamese American Community Center in Oakland, CA
- Justice for Satnam Singh Petition
- GoFundMe for HyunJungKim
Protect Yourself in the Face of Discrimination and/or Safely Stand Up For Others as a Bystander
Get bystander intervention training by attending webinars and training sessions.
Learn About the History of AAPI Discrimination and Challenges within the AAPI Community
- PBS Documentary “Asian Americans”
- National Geographic’s “America’s Long History of Scapegoaing its Asian Citizens”
- Michelle Kim’s Article on the Importance of Asian and Black Solidarity
- NPR’s Article on the Model Minority Myth
- “Why We Must Talk About the Asian-American Story, Too” by Brando Simeo Starkey
- “The Model Minority Trope, Explained” by The Take
- “New Data on Anti-Asian Hate Incidents Against Elderly and Total National Incidents in 2020” by Stop AAPI Hate
If you found this list useful, please share with others who can use this as well. We also encourage you to email us if you want to add to this list at email@example.com.
Again, we will be updating this list as we continue to fight against racially motivated acts of violence.
Stay safe, everyone.